Monday, September 17, 2012

Aloha Hawaii

So....we're here! Aloha Hilo, land of lava rock, black sand beaches, green jungle, blue blue ocean, and more lava rock. So far we are...we like it here, I'll just say that for now. The first couple of days have been hard, reality set in about the time we stepped off the airplane and we were driving to Hilo thinking "what in the world did we just do..." we have no job, not even a real plan, and we flew across the ocean a million miles from our families to do...what? So I guess we are figuring that out! Oy. Look at these beautiful pictures, they'll make you feel better for us.
We love the black sand beach, can you tell?
Every day gets a little better. I had a job interview on Friday that I think went well, they said they'd call tomorrow, and Dusty has an interview on Tuesday with the USDA. Or, something like an interview. The guy wants to get to know Dusty, he said not to dress up, because "it's Hilo". So what does that make it? I guess he'll find out!

Anyways, we might be back on the mainland sooner than we thought...

Look at these houses:
Right there on the lava rock! And this isn't even OLD lava rock, there is lava within walking distance of these houses that flowed there 20 months ago, we walked on it! So what are these people thinking, is what I want to know. And who owns land that is that newly formed?? Does the state own it? Did these people just claim it? I mean, seriously, you can SEE hot lava up on the hillside from these houses at night. Apparently these home-owners don't care if they lose their homes to burning lava, is about the only conclusion I can come to. I guess they'd have plenty of time to evacuate, the lava does move at a snails pace. And look at the vegetation already growing- thats how much it rains here! 270 days a year it rains. Maybe they will have lush rainforest yards in 40 years. Maybe.

At any rate, I don't think Dusty and I are THAT desperate to own a piece of paradise...

I do have to say that I've never been in a place before where I feel like I am actually watching the earth form, it's pretty cool. To think that this is what Oahu and the other islands used to look like millions of years ago feels like stepping into a time machine. Here is me reflecting on the vastness of time,
Or maybe thinking about how tiny and far away I am from...everyone. Or maybe trying to remember how to walk, because i don't think i'm doing such a great job in this picture...

Well, until next time, aloha!

8 comments:

Lia said...

Did you never go to the Big Island when you were in school? Or were you just saying you're amazed you're living there?

I hope Dusty's "interview" goes well!! And that yours did!! Yay for living in Hawaii!

Jules said...

No I never came here, it's all new to me! Did you decide if you're going to come visit yet??

Lia said...

Well, now I might be making a last-minute trip to Taiwan! I know . . . crazy. So, I'll keep you updated! haha.

And, you keep me updated when you get that job in case they want you to start ASAP or something and then I shouldn't go!

jess bahr said...

I've totally been out of the loop and didn't realize you had moved to Hawaii! So cool! Can't wait to hear more about your amazing adventures!

sharon said...

Julie! You're in Hawaii! I am so jealous! Lol! Thanks for all of your advice and tips. I feel so much better after reading all of your texts. I love you and good luck with everything.

Mary said...

mmm...sand is tasty in all colors. Good luck you guys, you are in a beautiful place to figure things out! And as to being farther away from family, I think you might actually be closer to us.

Unknown said...

Julie, Dusty, it looks beautiful! Not that I'm jealous that you're in paradise and I'm already scraping frost off my windshield in the morning...

How did the interview go? And since we're ipad-less now, you want to skype?

Michelle said...

HOLY MOLY! Julie, so so awesome (and great haircut too!). Wishing you guys the best on the big island. lots of love from south carolina! :)